Here are 10 helpful tips to keep cool in the summer:
1. Try to operate the thermostat at the highest setting that is comfortable for you.
2. Exhaust fans in kitchens can be used to expel heat and moisture from your suite.
3. Close curtains when leaving your suite for extended periods.
4. Keep doors and windows closed when you are operating air conditioning equipment.
5. Ensure that cooling vents are not blocked.
6. Open a window or opt to use a ceiling fan on cooler days instead of running the air conditioner.
7. Set your air conditioning wisely – each degree setting below 26 C° will increase your energy consumption by approximately 8%.
8. Turn off unnecessary lights in the house as they produce heat, which works against the air conditioning.
9. Don’t set your thermostat at a colder setting than normal when you turn on your air conditioner. It will not cool your home any faster and could result in excessive cooling.
10. Install white window shades, drapes or blinds to reflect heat away from your suite.